Thursday, October 30, 2008

Catching up....

It has been a long time since I have been able to post! I've got a lot of catching up to do today, so put on your reading glasses! I guess we will start with our trip to Michigan! I was in MI from Tuesday the 14th through Thursday the 23rd. We booked the trip for those times because Mark had two three day meetings between those weeks, so he'd be out of town. What better time to travel than when he is away - it isn't as fun being in MI when I've got a husband home missing me! Of course, I'd much rather have him in MI with us - but if that were the case I'd only get to MI twice a year and let's not be coy, I know you all want to see me way more than that! Okay, so maybe it's Isaac you want to see - but I come with the package! It is important to Mark and I that Isaac knows his extended family. Not just knows them, but is comfortable with them. That is why we try to coordinate traveling north with Mark being out of town. Unfortunately this time, his second trip got cancelled two days before our flight. Such is life. This was the second time Isaac has been on the plane trip from Nashville to south bend. Let me highlight a couple differences from then to now for you:


  • Then, he was a lot quieter, slept in the sling, and barely even noticed we were on a plane - Now he shrieks and babbles, sleeps in my lap only by trickery, and moves so much I paged the pilot and told him we were going through some turbulence in aisle 3!

  • Then, Isaac took a paci - Now he takes a paci and throws it on the ground!

  • Then, you were allowed two checked bags per ticket for free - Now only one airline gives you ONE bag free!

On the way to MI the flights were not booked, and it was early in the morning. This meant we got a row (2 seats) to ourselves which made it easier to nurse discretely and for Isaac to sleep, since he normally would be sleeping at that time any how. He raised a ruckus until we taxied to the runway and the lights were dimmed. Then all was well, and we didn't get tarred and feathered by annoyed passengers. Most commented on how cute he was, and I must say - I agree! The way home I got a row alone only on the first flight. But the guy I ended up next to (a pilot himself) was very cordial and understanding. He told me he didn't have any kids yet, and I told him when he does he will appreciate people as kind as himself. I would have loved to get a few pictures on the plane, but I didn't have room in my bag for the camera. This brings up a sore subject. Please review the 3rd bullet point above. Normally we fly Northwest, unfortunately they charge I believe 25 dollars for your first checked bag! What a rip. Delta is the only airline that allows one checked bag free (though the two companies did just merge so we'll see what they do now). So I packed ten days worth of clothes and baby necessities for the both of us into one giant bag. We get to the airport and approach the check in line. They take my bag, hoist it up on the scale - 59lbs! This is not good. The clause with the one checked bag is that it must weigh 50lbs or less - though they don't tell you the consequences of breaking this rule until you get to the point we were just then. Above and beyond the 50lb limit they charge (get ready) 10$ a POUND! That means we had to pay $90 extra dollars, just to get our bag there. I could have checked a second bag for only $50. No wonder they don't tell you that rule before you get there - I bet they make a fortune off that! Needless to say, we packed lighter on the way home and shipped a box of extras. Here are a couple pictures Jenny got of us boarding the flight and taking off for home:







Our time in Michigan was great. Isaac took a little while to warm up to everyone at first. After a day or so, he got much better with that. He got to spend some good time with my Grandma, which was really important to me and to her as well, I'm sure. She is still going through kemo as to keep the tumor at bay. She has good days and bad days, but is overall dealing with it very well. She is a very strong woman! Please keep her in your prayers.




We also got to meet my new nephew, Gavin for the first time - what a cutie! Seeing & holding him really reminded me that Isaac is not a little baby anymore! Yikes! Gavin is such a good little guy. As long as he is fed & cuddled, he is happy. We took all 9 of the "Dandurand" grand kids to Riverfront park for pictures, and Gavin was the best behaved one there! Here are some shots of Gavin & Isaac, and the pictures of all of the kiddo's together:

Isaac & Gavin at the parkMy little man!
See, Mom! I'm not too big for Gavin's swing! (Yeah, right!) Sydnea & Makenna




Isaac got a chance to hang out with Amy, Bri, & Madilyn again too. We went to Hacienda, as is the norm when I am in town, and then got our toes "did" ha ha. Isaac sat in my lap for the pedicure and played with the remote that controls the massage part of the chair! We also got to visit my good friend Jenny ElBenni (Rothfuchs) the newlywed just started her career as an Attorney at Law, and her and her hubby just bought their first home! Congrats guys, it was great to see you, and momma Linda, too!

Isaac's Grandma & Grandpa Norcross came down from Flint on Wednesday to visit and take us to lunch! They were supposed to come down to Tennessee that weekend, but some things got funky with Mark's work and they had to cancel. So, they came for a day visit instead. Isaac was glad to see them, and vice versa. They took us to lunch @ Tabor Hill Winery. It was yummy, and grandpa & I got to do some free wine tasting! Here are some pictures from there visit:













The remainder of our time in Michigan was divided up between fighting bad guys on Mario DS, laughing, visiting Sonic for limeade, laughing some more, eating something bad for us, visiting sonic for another limeade, laughing, talking about the election, drinking a beer..or two...or a margarita...or some wine, and genuinely enjoying ourselves. (please note: this paragraph does not apply to how Isaac spent his time - I assure you he had no beer, or margarita, or wine!) Big thanks & love to the Kolonich family for hosting your "stinky fish" visitors after the 3 day quota, we had a great time with you. I did her hair that day....I guess it is a good thing Isaac is a boy!

I think this happened when we were scouting the parks for picture ideas. This is what happens when you fall asleep eating m&ms..


Check out those red hoopsters!
Saying Goodbye @ the airport.
Isaac started crawling the Wednesday before we came home! He had been working on it for a while, and then all the sudden - there he went! Mommy & Daddy have been very busy ever since! Mark was surprised to find this out the morning after we got home, as he found himself chasing Isaac to and fro. Mark took an extra long weekend off work to spend some time home with us. This is just what we all needed. Aside from the JD Barbecue (post coming soon) we didn't do much of anything - just hung out as a family. We had such a great time in Michigan, but were so glad to be home, our little family of three, in Tennessee!
Glad to be home w/his daddy...


New post coming soon!!
Steph











No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker